Museum


This morning is Friday—change the sheets day. We stripped our beds and made a pile for Lucia.
We got ready and headed off to the Ufizzi Museum. Our tickets were for 10 am. We got there at 9:58, plenty of time to spare. :-0
The museum is really beautiful. Some of my favorite pieces we saw today include Spring by Botticelli and a self-portrait of Rembrandt. There were lots of pieces I loved—mostly of close up faces (must be mom rubbing off on me). Some I really did not like were the ones with dead birds, and butcher shops from the Dutch artists. The sculptress were amazing and we saw one that dated from Ancient Rome (cir 100 BC)… it just takes my breath away. 
going into the museum- 3rd flight of staris

no photos inside the museum ;-(

After a few hours in the museum we went for lunch to a pizza place I had read about on a travel blog… it was about 20 min farther than the museum from the apt. On the way we (I) was stopped by a sign for gelato--- you must understand that there are a million signs for gelato here. Anyway it looked like a fun little shop so I peaked my head in to see if maybe we should stop on the way back. They had fun flavors and the gelato was made in the shop, in the back room…needless to say we had dessert first, again. I think this is a habit I want to bring back with me from Italy!
We finally made it to the pizza place and it was well worth the walk!
They had a wood fire/brick oven and we got to watch the guy make our pizzas. We also shared a Greek salad.  
making the pizza

pulling it out of the oven

happy and hungry

 We took home about 1 full pizza worth of leftovers! Not going to waste that.
Then we started the trek back to the apt.
One the way back we found a leather school-- the workshop wad not open to the public but they had a showroom/gift-shop. This is the courtyard to the school.


 It was really hot (for me) today, about 90. So I asked if when we got back to the Ufizzi we could sit in the shade and rest. While I was resting a little something caught my eye. I got up to look at it, one of the artists in the square had a painting I really admired. It was a country side with the red poppies, when we get home you can look at it. Yep I bought it, and also a little Pinocchio watercolor, all in blues. I really like both of them.

Today’s flavors
Chris- grapefruit and mango
Janelle- pistachio and burnt sugar *like caramel, or mom’s frosting
Ais- hazelnut and nutella

Comments

Sandy Baur said…
Oh wow! I cannot wait to see the painting! It sounds beautiful!
Linda said…
Just wanted you t know I am reading every day. Amazing adventure.