Christmas in the air

I love this time of year... for so many reasons.
1- school is out!
the break is nice. I am sitting at home with lots to do and think about... no papers to grade... no midnight texts from students that start..."ummm so Dr. Macintosh...." Music playing in every room of the house, the smells of baking, the joy of bringing gifts to family, neighbors and friends, the cards mounted in the front room... a new nephew....
2- i guess #1 sort of got carried away ;-)-- holiday baking
Monday for family home evening (all day event) Chris and I made caramels, kiss covered pretzels and shortbread cookies. 2 of those things I had never done before. the pretzels were so good, you melt a Hersey kiss on a waffle pretzel-done! (the trick is a LOW oven 170 for 4-6 min). I had never made shortbread cookies either. They were easy! I think I will make another batch (of each) for our 24th Bassett family extravaganza!
3- the smile of children
last night Chris and I took plates of cookies and goodies to friends and neighbors... we stopped at one house in the ward and a little girl (about 5 or years old) answered the door. She took the plate of cookies and yelled "mom...some one gave us cookies!" then slammed the door closed. It was so cute. Chris had a huge smile--- that makes Christmas real. They joy of a child.
4- family all getting together.
Because Chris and I are both associated with schools we both have a nice break. I have 2 weeks off and Chris has 3 weeks off. I get to spend time with the adorable man that I love. We get to have the freedom of time to spend with family. Last weekend we went to see the zoo lights with Chris' family that live in the area. Ais was with us that weekend and had a great time. Today we get to see my sister and my brother and their families. Then Saturday is the Christmas eve Bassett PARTY. We will spend the whole day just being together, decorating gingerbread houses (which I am also making for the first time this year), watching Christmas cartoons, playing games, and of course eating--- snacks and then traditional Christmas Nachos!
5- the birth of a child
I also have a new nephew. My sister and her husband are adopting a little boy- born last night and weighing in at 9 1/2 pounds! I can not wait to meet him.
All in all... it is a wonderful time of year!
May you feel the joy of the season and love in your heart.

Comments

Sassy said…
My feelings exactly!
Sandy Baur said…
AWWW #4 put a little emotional in my eye and #5 clinched it! I soo wish I were there! Merry Christmas I love you 500!
Karla said…
I also love this time of year! Sounds like you are busy and happy!