since it has been a month

I thought I would do an update.
last week I met with a couple of committee members and have some more writing and editing to do on my dissertation. I am on a tight deadline but will get it done.
last night was the junior prom for Lach. There is a little different tradition I will explain.

Junior prom is a community supported rite of passage! The tradition is for ALL the junior to be assigned a partner, based on height, for the promenade (walk) that presents each student. Then ALL the junior perform a choreographed dance (twice- so each side of the gym can see their child). Then there is a parent dance where the junior dances with their parent. Then the community is excused and the REAL dance begins. This is where the kids get to dance with the person they invited. I thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Here are photos:

When prom is a spectator sport!



The juniors enter through the golden star and are announced (assigned partner) .


They walk around the gym in a very organized and artful pattern.


There is a wonderful dance... for the spectators pleasure!


Then there is a very sweet boy who asked me to share this dance!
(I danced the first half of the song)


Lach and his real date


Lach and Ais- sweet and having fun



My two super cute boys!




Comments

Sandy Baur said…
What a great family! SOOOO fun!
Karla said…
Looks like fun. . . definitely more exiting then a taco bar!
Linda said…
i really like this tradition. In a small town a person can have more intimate activities than the huge cattle call that would come with a huge High School. It looked like you were all really enjoying yourselves. Did you know ahead of time you would be dancing with Lach?
Jane-E-B said…
the dance was a total surprise! What a touching thing for him to do!